- May even your worst adversary begrudgingly compliment you on your work.
- May your readers forever outnumber your writer friends.
- May you make many hilarious double-entendre spelling mistakes, and heaven help you, may you catch them all before you submit the final draft.
- May your characters be so danged lovable that people name their kids after them.
- May you never accidentally burp/poot/barf/faint during your first public reading.
- May you catch a complete stranger reading your story.
- May a child blush and murmur “I want to be like you when I grow up.”
- May you find great success, but never satisfaction.
- May your gratitude forever subdue your pride.
- May you change many lives.
Sunday, August 14, 2011
Ten toasts to the budding author
In case you ever get stuck at a table with a not-quite-famous writer, keep these toasts close at hand. Feel free to add your own by adding it as a comment below.