Thursday, August 6, 2009

Selling out?

So I'm wondering first off about this whole "Monetize" feature of my blog - which is a euphemism for getting others to advertise on your page.

A couple of years ago, I would have been horrified at the very idea - I'd be selling out! But then again, I'm becoming a real capitalist in my old age. I've developed a bit of an affection for cash. Cash = coffee. More cash = cappuccinos and a yummy brioche.

From what I can tell, the advertisement fairies are benign: without any explicit direction from their creators, these invisible little midges flit from post to post, sniffing out the content of your blog and matching it up with available advertising that seems most appropriate - advertising Chapters.ca when you're talking about books, for example, or advertising script resources when you're blabbing on about radio plays.

And really, people must be accustomed to seeing ads by now. You can't perform a google search or visit a webpage without having all the margins vandalized by Amazing Acai Berry diets and flirtatious solicitations from eHarmony.

Here's another thing though...When searching out information about radio play script formats (and boy, do they run the gamut), I actually saw some very good resources about radio, drama, educational resources...Advertising works. Without it, I wouldn't have known about the national 3-day writing marathon, I wouldn't be reminded of those wonderful Nova Scotia sailing cruises...

And hey...everybody's gotta make a buck - including those people selling Acai Berry diets.

No obligations, they say - but then again, I've seen some other "no obligation" arrangements that are as painful as a messy divorce when you try to weasel out of them. Decisions, decisions...

But if anything...it would mean I am officially getting paid for writing!

Well...we'll see.

But enough about all that silly stuff. Next Post: Paper Bag Radio!

No comments:

Post a Comment